Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Summer Heat and Other Updates

Today, like yesterday, is summer hot. According to NOAA it's 92 degrees right now and the heat index is 88, so it feels like that dry, summer heat.

This year I am actually putting flowers outside. I bought a flat of flowers that I transplanted into two planters and I also bought two huge petunia arrangements. I love a yard filled with flowers beds, but here at Corinth West that is not going to happen any time soon. When they built the missile site, they removed all of the top soil and all we have left is clay. It is near impossible to dig down in clay even with a pick ax. When we buried Max, Eric's brother, we had to hire a backhoe service to dig his grave. Anyway, if I want flower beds I will have to build raised beds. We just eradicated the mesquite out of the front yard and Rick wants to plant Japanese cherry trees and fruit trees. Until the trees are in place and the irrigation system is installed, I can't build any raised beds.

Which brings me to the overall condition of our front and side yards. The removal of the mesquite has totally destroyed our yard. Because mesquite has lateral roots, as well as a tap root, when it gets pulled up it leaves one heck of a hole. I have been trying to fill in the holes, but trying to shovel clay, as I mentioned, is near impossible. I filled one hole yesterday and darn near killed myself and actually got dizzy. Of course I was out there during the hottest part of the day because I am bull-headed and stubborn--a little heat wasn't going to stop me from checking an item off of my "to do" list.

Rick's parents will be here in 1 1/2 weeks. I am looking forward to their visit. My mother-in-law will accompany Katie and I to our MOPS meeting on May 4th. Katie is also looking forward to Gaga and Pop Pop's visit--new people with whom to play. I know she has already planned a tea party.

Eric has good days and bad days and yesterday was a bad day. I usually can figure out what brings the bad day on i.e. cold weather, walking too much, but none of those applied to yesterday. I could not even inspire Eric to get up from the floor, which is unusual. I need to face the sad reality that we will see more and more bad days for no apparent reason. The arthritis is progressing and at this point our goal is to just need to keep him comfortable because we can no longer halt or reverse the stiffness.

Today I found Katie sitting with Eric and reading him a book. Which got me thinking. I wonder if Katie will remember Eric? She'll be too young to understand death so how am I going to explain where Eric went to? When Eric had a cyst removed from his front leg a few months ago, we had to leave him at the vet. That didn't set very well with Katie. She continually asked me where Eric was and was delighted when we went to pick him up. Anyway, here's a picture of story time. Katie is reading a book that my sister Linda bought her. It's called "Baby Farm Animals", which was my sister's favorite book when she was little.

0 comments :